Pheasant

pheasant-copy

Pheasants years ago were very common to see in farm fields…

but now we see very few unless they are escapees from a game farm. I have no way of knowing if this is the case or it has been wild and free since it was hatched.  It was introduced from Eurasia for game hunting, being North America’s most popular upland game bird.

hiding-pheasant

See it hiding? As a kid, I would see them burst in flight from the fields reaching speeds of nearly 40 miles per hour. You might wonder how these birds fare in winter. During especially foul weather, they remain dormant for up to three days waiting for fields to become without snow cover. The can forage from trees and shrubs as well. They eat seed and grain from the farm fields, as well as grass vegetation, wild fruit and nut from trees and ground plants, and even insects.

pheasant-running

It flies or runs away when spotted, but where is it going?

going-where

Not out of sight from the looks of things. Still has its eye on me. Pretty bird with a few creative edits to its surroundings.

pheasant-0

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Photography, Photos, Travel, wildlife and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Pheasant

1. neihtn2012 says:

These photos are awesome, and that first one, wow!

2. I saw a bunch of pheasants in a field on Union Road in Williamsville a couple years ago. I was surprised to see them because it is such a suburban area. They didn’t seem to be as colorful as this was is.

When I first moved here, I would see them along the Robert Moses at the entrance to the Falls.

• Allen R. Kive says:

I’ve only seen a pheasant three times. Surprisingly, two of the sightings were in my own neighborhood. Again, in a suburban area. So awesome to see them, though! I’ve never managed to photograph one yet, hoping I get a chance sometime!

3. David says:

I find your two vignetted photos especially nice with deep rich colors and feather details, highlighted by the vignetting.

4. lucindalines says:

Oh my we have them all over here and they are wild. We have to slow when we drive on some roads to avoid them. Q

That is great they are around yet. I was thinking the whole population was affected. I saw one a few years ago and was told it was from the game farm.

• lucindalines says:

We have massive fall hunting here and they seem to thrive, though the ice this winter has not been easy on them. A few people like my brother have been feeding them, and farmers are encouraged to leave conservation spots and food plots to help them.

5. Agree with the other comments about the richness of the colors and feather details in your first and last pictures. Very well done. Its a difficult bird to find and photograph.

A one time they were so common, but since I don’t live in PA any longer perhaps they still have them. Thanks Stephen.

• Allen R. Kive says:

I currently live in PA, but I can’t say they have a high population in my area. I don’t live in a rural area (although I’ve seen two in my suburban neighborhood), compared to other game birds (such as turkeys) there’s no comparison as far as population goes. It’s always exciting to see them when you do though!

Creative edits? Ok .. what was the most creative you did? Lol

Yes. I saw that. Were you working off your iPad or your Mac ? I figured you have so many types of photo “workings ” at your disposal so wondered which one you utilized? It was interesting watching you draw off the iPad for example . Just blew my mind all you did from that alone .