Eastern Wolf

eastern-wolf

While at Algonquin Provincial Park last weekend, it was a delight to see not one, but three wolves.

I could only get glass on one collared wolf about ¾ of a mile away.  The other two were at a greater distance and running though an open area in the surrounding woodland.

eastern-red-wolf

A dead, road-kill moose carcass was set out in a far-off clearing below the Visitors’ Center for the wildlife to scavenge and the enjoyment of people visiting the park. While the carcass could have been positioned in the woodland, it was placed visibly for Park tourists. The wolves were drawn to the carcass which was mostly gone by the time we arrived. Had the carcass not been at this spot, we likely would have not seen the wolves.

wolf

The Eastern wolf is a beautiful creature, living in an exquisite location in Canada.

lone-wolf1-22

The carcass also attracted Pine Martin, fox and ravens.  We only saw the raven at the carcass.

eastern-wolf

The lone wolf…

This entry was posted in Nature, Photography, Photos, Travel, wildlife and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Eastern Wolf

1. lucindalines says:

I understand the collar helps in learning about the wolves, but I feel bad that it has to put up with such a large thing hanging on its neck. I do not love that on a wolf.

I agree, it is large. Do you have wolves where you live?

• lucindalines says:

We have coyotes. Wolves are more in Minnesota where there are wooded areas. A couple of years ago someone thought they spotted a wolf west of town, but it was most likely a very large coyote. Not sure if they crossbreed with wild dogs, but that is more likely what might be in the area. Thanks for asking, it is always interesting to share that sort of information, and I so enjoy seeing your pictures.

• Dina says:

I agree with you both. This collar looks awfully big and intimidating.
      Great photos!

2. Denzil says:

Must have been exhilarating Donna. Over here, wolves seem to be making a small comeback, spreading from the north and east of Europe westwards. One has even been sighted in the Netherlands. It will make walking in the woods a bit more exciting!

It was very exciting to see the wolves. You are right, a walk in the woods makes one think. That is interesting the wolves are spreading in Europe. Having been in Europe, some countries seem prime for having the right habitat for them.

3. In the Algonquin area in some cases coyotes have bred with wolves-they are called coywolves, larger with longer legs and pointed faces.I am wondering if this is what this is.

4. Hillechien says:

stunning pictures of these beautiful creatures

5. neihtn2012 says:

It looks smaller, and perhaps not as wild as the gray wolves of the West. Great photos nevertheless!

Lovely to see wildlife of your nature reserves Donna, monitoring them and learning how to help them to survive in our changing world. I guess our Dingo could be likened to your wolf, as our marsupial tiger was made extinct.

7. I live in Montana, where wolves are very controversial. I’ve been a lifelong lover of the animal, and saw my first “wild” wolves in Yellowstone a couple autumns ago. It nearly brought me to tears. If you are interested at all, Dan Flores wrote a book called Coyote America that might interest you; the focus is on the Coyote (or “Prairie Wolf”), obviously, but Flores is a great writer and a treasure. His book American Serengeti, which also came out last year, has a section on wolves. I just love his stuff.

8. blueboltblog says:

I love wolves but i have never seen a Eastern grey wolf before.