OWLS!!!

seow

This week was a good week for an owl hunt.

They are often hard to find, blending so perfectly into their surroundings. Here are three owls I found throughout our area. Some are found in evening light like above, others during the day, but in deep shadow, like below.

great-horned-owl

Either way, if the subject is dark, the image is of lesser quality when raising the ISO. Colors are not accurate as a result. Grain becomes a problem and images get soft.

The first owl I located was a Great Horned Owl. There is a pair at this location, yet I only found one.

owl-on-hunt

Yesterday, my friend and I traveled to Seneca Falls, NY to find a couple of Snowy Owls. They were in a sunny field. Even though the shutter speed is set for a flying bird, the ISO was not quite as high.

owl-chillen

Later in the day, we zipped over to Bloomfield NY to watch and photograph Short-eared Owls. Now here, the ISO was at 4000. Considerable grain resulted with the shutter speed at 1/1250. Not to mention, being hand-held using a long lens with a 1.4TC lowered the light entering the camera which also increases the grain and lowers quality.

seow-1-16-17

You will see more of these owls as I go through my photos at a later date. I will talk about how, what time of day or evening, and where you might find these owls.  I just grabbed a few images to post on Facebook, but wanted to share here on Nature and Wildlife Pics.

This is a Great Horned Owl that I took its photo with one of my photography groups in much nicer weather. All with a slower shutter speed, 300mm lens and a reasonable ISO.

great-horned-owl-captive

I will be gone for a few days to a Canadian park with lots of wildlife. Hopefully we get to see some interesting critters. Maybe another and different owl.

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Photography, Photos, wildlife and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to OWLS!!!

1. Tiny says:

Greatly successful owl hunt! Love the Snowy Owl!

2. Hillechien says:

wow stunning pictures

3. neihtn2012 says:

Great shots! Looking forward to your advice on how to find and photograph owls.

4. gwenniesgardenworld says:

awesome !!

5. WOW! I adore owls. We hear them but rarely see them in our garden. I usually see people post snowy owls in the snow so it is nice to see them against a different background. You can really make out the details far more.

Well done Donna! Owls can be very challenging subjects as most are dark and have poorly defined detail. I find the ‘noise’ created in the often dark environment a challenge also. Your Pics are good considering the light.

7. lucindalines says:

Beautiful as always. We had an encounter with an owl family this year. A baby fell out of the nest and my husband and daughter recued and returned it (with gloves on). Later in the summer they all came to the yard when we were outside and sat with us, it was quite an experience.

8. On the second photo, I had to really look hard to see the ow!

9. Very Nice! Owls are fun to photograph. Well Done!

10. Awesome captures, Donna! I’m looking forward to more owls!!

11. Annette says:

love, love, love, Donna, owls are my favourite birds and I sometimes meet them at night which is a difficult time to shoot them. thankfully there’s Donna who’s sharing her fab pics – thanks!

12. goldenbrodie says:

amazing birds and photos!