Wood Ducks

male-wood-duck

The iridescent Wood Duck is one of the most attractive ducks. I do like the Green-Winged Teal too. It is seen in my header. The Wood Ducks live in woodland swamps and nest in tree holes, but many nature preserves and pond owners put up wood duck nesting boxes. You commonly see them at ponds and lakes.

wood-duck-female

Ducks perching in trees is a bit uncommon, but these ducks can, and occasionally you will see one sitting in a tree. Wood Ducks pair up in January, and most you see arriving in spring are already paired.

wood-duck-pair

This pair is likely ready for setting up a nest. Usually many migrate, but they can stay here all year round.

wood-duck-male

wood-duck-pair-swimming

I was wondering what they ate and found out by doing some research. They can eat seed, fruit, and insects. When aquatic food is unavailable, they may eat acorns or other nuts from forests, but also will eat grain from fields. I was glad to read that according to Cornell’s All About Birds.

wood-duck-portrait

They are dabbling ducks which do short dives. Cornell says they are not territorial, yet I have images of the male chasing and biting Mallards.

wood-duck-territory

territorial-wood-duck

This past two weeks it has been Duck Hunting season, and the river is filled with decoy ducks. It makes seeing live ducks a bit more difficult at this time.

wood-duck-colors

female-wood-duck

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Photography, Photos, wildlife and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Wood Ducks

1. neihtn2012 says:

You have the best Wood Duck photos I have ever seen.

2. These are spectacular, Donna!

3. David says:

Nice series of photos and information. You had good timing with the capture of the second shot and I like the way the bit of blur helps emphasizes the movement.

4. Wood ducks are so handsome! I don’t see it this far ‘south’ but we have one that you don’t : White-cheeked pintail!

Great photos,especially of the females with what looks like a spike feather style!

Thank you Z, I liked her punk look too. I love pin tails too. Seems odd to think about ducks there. I can’t remember seeing ducks when in Costa Rica.

• The funny thingg about those white-cheeked pintails, is that i have not seen a pin-looking tail. but they are elusive, so perhaps the male has one….

We get the blue-winged teal here as well.. and last year I was blessed to see an extremely rare for this area – muscovy duck! it stayed around for about an hour, so i was able to photograph it as proof!

What a beautiful duck, and beautifully captured Donna. I wish that was the only kind of shooting that was done. Our Australian Wood Duck is not as wonderfully patterned and coloured as yours, but it is not a bad looking one.

That must be the only bird you have not more colorful and pretty than one we have, lol. You really live in a bird paradise with the variety and unique birds in Australia.

6. So lovely to see their stunning plumage so clearly.

7. Hillechien says:

beautiful pictures

8. They are really photogenic, especially the males. For some reason I didn’t realize that their range went so far north and they are year round residence for you. I don’t ever see them in my neck of the woods.

Many up here were shocked to see them too. I had no idea they could live here all year. I questioned what they were eating and saw the range map. Nature is amazing in its ability to adapt to such varied conditions.

9. Vicki says:

Reblogged this on Living on Vancouver Island and commented:
    a while back I posted a photo of Wood Ducks that didn’t show them very well. This reblogged post from Nature and Wildlife Pics shows them in their true beauty.

10. Vicki says:

wonderful photos.. reblogged this on Living on Vancouver Island

11. Tiny says:

Gorgeous images of these beautiful ducks, Donna!

12. Gorgeous! Are these ducks around here? I only see mallards.

13. I am hoping this will be a lifer someday!. Nice collection.