Red Bellied Woodpecker

berry-wodpecker

I get a few woodpeckers in my garden, but this beauty was found in a woodland along the Niagara River. As most know, it is rather dark in the dense woodlands. I was out looking for pine branches to set up my garden photo studio for my woodpeckers and songbirds at home. More on that later. While looking for Austrian and White Pine Trees, this guy and his mate were flying from tree to tree. Of course I had to drop my branches and grab the camera.

red-bellied-woodpecker-12-10

It was tough getting clean photos of the quick little woodpeckers. I was dodging branches, tree stumps, fallen branches and repositioning myself to see the woodpecker past all the branches, all while trying not to scare my little friends going about collecting berries.

red-bellied-woodpecker

Lucky, I got them to sit still. In my backyard photo studio you plan where they land which makes photos much more appealing as you control shade and sun and which way and how they perch. I let you in on my garden photo tips soon. I welcome the snow too. Winter is for the birds! They make the most beautiful winter garden color.

red-bellied-woodpecker-1

This entry was posted in Birds, garden, Nature, Photography, Photos, wildlife and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Red Bellied Woodpecker

1. neihtn2012 says:

Nice captures of this beautiful bird.

2. What a beauty! It’s nice to see him turning his head and stretching acrobatically in order to get the blue berries. Very nice photographs, Donna!

3. Emily Scott says:

A very handsome bird. Surely it has more of a red head than a red belly?

4. David says:

Nice shots. I really like the clarity and exposure for the first one.

5. Hillechien says:

beautiful pictures

A handsome bird, beautifully posed and captured Donna.

look at these shots..so good!!!!!!

8. Because they are “quick little woodpeckers” I’m even more impressed with the “clean” photos. You always present to me nature’s beauty seemingly so effortlessly!
    Thank you.

9. That is such a beautiful orange-red.Glad you managed to get these shots.