What Do You Consider Nature?

featheronlog

That is a question that came up on GWGT.

img_0198

Why you say? Some folks don’t consider home gardens “nature” in the broadest of terms. There are some photographers that don’t consider feeder birds “wildlife”. I don’t give two hoots about rigid opinions, but can understand it from both perspectives. Garden design is by its very nature, controlled and not a natural occurrence.

leaves

The birds and insects that visit are just that, temporary visitors from the natural world. Sure they can make homes and get food and shelter from a garden, but they don’t live there 24-7. They fly over an expanded territory generally speaking.

img_0197

Bees can have homes in the garden, provided gardeners don’t dig or weed them out. Birds can live in bird houses or nest in garden trees, but after fledging young, may move off to new places or migrate if that is their way.

yellow-jacket-november

I do like this time of year to find interesting photos in the dying and browning landscape. Finding insects is more difficult when temperatures drop below freezing. That lethargic yellow jacket was here in November before the snow. The weather was very cold that day too.

img_0196

The opening image is a wild turkey feather. I wonder if it escaped the hunters for the Thanksgiving celebration?

I guess in short, just about everything is connected to nature.

This entry was posted in garden, Macro photography, Nature, Photography, Photos, wildlife and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to What Do You Consider Nature?

1. Wonderful post and great photos.

2. Hillechien says:

great photos, just love the dragonfly

So true Donna, and great macros!

4. …and that’s how a true artist takes pictures! Thank you, my dear Donna! 🙂

5. Vicki says:

lovely photos..

6. That is a good question. How bleak my life would be without interaction with nature. One is man-made and the other is not(some like myself would say God-made). Though people can manipulate nature to their tastes, as in parks and gardens, it is still of the natural world, whether the creatures are passing through or staying.Then there is another kind of nature, which I would call wilderness and the less people tread there the better. Just pass through, observe, and leave a small footprint..

7. David says:

Wow, those are some stunning photographs. I love the dragon fly and its flower perch.

8. That first insect shot is truly amazing.

9. In “wild”nature birds and insects migrate too. So, just two kinds of nature … What would you call a garden when it’s full with bushes, trees and plants if it is not nature?

Yes, it is natural in the idea the plants are part of nature, they just are not in the combination that would occur naturally, or even those that greatly benefit wildlife native to the area. While my garden has many native plants, it still is an island in a sea of turf grass from surrounding properties. I get wildlife, but the area is not large enough to be a habitat for them. It is almost artificial nature in these respects. Thank you for your thoughtful comment. (This comment is the same as I left to Jane above).

10. Your photos are jaw dropping! Thank you for sharing!

11. robert20359 says:

Wonderful and interesting nature pictures