Turquoise-browed Motmot

Motmot

As you may have read on GWGT, I have been to Costa Rica, specifically the Monteverdi Cloud Forest Reserve on a research project. I found Costa Rica to have some of the friendliest birds, unafraid of humans and perching very close for good photos.  Motmots eat insects, snakes and lizards. Lots of all of those in Costa Rica. I could have used one in my cabin to pick off scorpions. No fun sleeping with scorpions.

Turquoise-browed-Motmot-from-Costa-Rica

While there on research assignment, I did get to visit many of the parks and live volcanos, like Arenal Volcano National Park where you can also find a Motmot. I have to say besides the hummingbirds, the Turquoise-browed Motmot was a very special treat to see. They just hang out on fence posts and telephone wires just as much as seeing them in the rainforest. The Motmot has a pretty tail, but this one, not so much. It looks a bit battle-worn.

Turquoise-browed-Motmot

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Travel, wildlife and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Turquoise-browed Motmot

1. SAN_jeet says:

Bird is giving the pose
    nice picture

2. Wow that is a stunning bird. I can see why it was a much liked bird….I love the turquoise around the face. While we have beautiful birds, nothing quite this exotic. Nice shots of this proud, posing bird….at least that is how he looks to me.

3. David says:

Nice photos. I love the detail of the feathers in the first one.

4. That is so cool! Even its name is cool.

What a beautiful bird Donna, thanks for sharing these great pics! Scorpions in your room was a bit much though, at least you survived to bring back these lovely shots and great story with it.

Friendly and good posers like that first one – sounds like a bird paradise.

7. Beautiful portraits!! I love his expression on the second shot!!! Have a wonderful weekend, Donna! 🙂

8. lucindalines says:

Beautiful pictures, Donna. You are in my prayers!!

9. Gorgeous photos, the expression in the second image is amazing. This must have been such a wonderful trip.

10. I am hoping you’ll receive this comment, as I just read your GWGT post, and was eager to send you a message. Your two blogs are such a JOY to me, and I was very concerned to hear of your recent medical event. I wish you a Shana Tova, and pray for you to have a full and speedy recovery and a full and enriching year to come!

I hope you have a better week Donna. And I am praying for you too from our Father above who is full of grace and mercy. You are indeed a blessing.

12. What a shock to hear of your recent medical problem. Will be praying for your recovery.

13. eulalia says:

that beuatiful bird lives near our home in colombia, South America. 🙂

So happy to see him around your blog..

14. Inger says:

Such beautiful close up shots. Sleeping with scorpions sounds like it is out of my comfort zone!