Stella Niagara Preserve

Stella-Niagara-Reserve

Located along the shores of the Niagara River… this 29 acre preserve is important to threatened wildlife habitat. I was at the ribbon cutting ceremony for donors on Tuesday. Quite a few dignitaries and government representatives were present at the ceremony.

It is ecologically important for the conservation of the threatened Lake Sturgeon. They mentioned that this particular sturgeon swims in the pools at the base of the property. It is a great fishing spot.

Fishermen

Bald-eagle

While I was there, a majestic bald eagle flew overhead as did a Great Egret which I could not photograph. The Egret flew in rather close to where the speaker’s podium was positioned, so it would be rude of me to run out for that image while a speaker was talking. A cormorant flew by us at the Niagara River when we toured the preserve.

Cormorant

The Niagara River is designated as a globally important Bird Area, right up there with the likes of Yellowstone and the Everglades. More gulls come here than almost anywhere, but it is internationally known for the Peregrine Falcon and other endangered waterfowl.

The property has historical Native American significance, and a few well-fought battles. It is such a special property, but to an untrained eye, one might look and not see the significance.

Stella-Niagara-Preserve-1

Sometimes the meaning is hidden in the meadows and forests, and only with knowledge of what came before do we see why it is of great importance.

Woods

This entry was posted in Nature, Photography, Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Stella Niagara Preserve

Wonderful to see such new reserves being adopted by governments, and this one is so close to where you are. Love your bald eagle, thanks for sharing this Donna.

This place was owned by Catholic nuns and they kept it natural all these years. It was largest piece of privately owned natural space left along the Niagara River. It has not changed from the nun’s ownership, but will be improved. The group hired a renowned landscape architect who worked on the Lady Bird Johnson Wildlife Center. The meadow will be filled with flowers I bet.

2. Good info and photos and a new destination in Upstate NY. Thanks.

3. David says:

Interesting post. I like your cormorant photo. Very aerodynamic and on a mission looking.

4. Great shots. It’s wonderful that we have groups like the Land Conservancy to protect these areas.

5. De bec et de plumes says:

I love your Bald eagle !

6. It is so wonderful that this site has been kept natural all these years by the nuns that owned it. I visited Stella Niagara several years ago when a cousin (nun) of mine was living there. It’s nice to see it being designated as as wildlife preserve habitat.

I only live less than 5 miles from Stella. It is a beautiful place, like a castle on the hill. The nuns did a wonderful job of keeping the property natural.

7. Bernice says:

Great pictures!! Looks like a beautiful day.

What a wonderful place. I like that it’s so open with meadows and sun! So often wildlands are left alone to be wild and this means trees grow up and invasives taking over. This plot seems to be managed to a certain extent even while allowing wildness and I think that makes such a difference as far as diversity and care in land management.

It was mowed other wise they would lose the great view of the Niagara. Most properties along the Niagara keep the view opened. The clearings are a nice beak in the landscape. When it is managed by the Land Conservancy the meadow will be improved with native flowers I am sure. I was there a few weeks ago along with others pulling Mustard Weed. I saw so many invasive plants like Phagmites and Horsetail. I asked what they were going to do about that and they had no answer yet.

9. Wonderful that you can see eagles in your region so frequently.

• This year for some reason, I saw quite a few of them. By late January, they started pairing up for nesting. By March I was seeing the juveniles flying along the River. Then I started seeing adults flying the gorge winds through summer. Never before did I see more than one per season here. I wonder if it has to do with changing climate and following their prey? Or an increase in their numbers needing available habitat?

10. I love hearing about these preserves opening in our state….and the best dignitaries flew by to voice their approval too!