Turtles

Sea-Turtle-Maui

Hi, I’m back!

I have been running into quite a few turtles this year, first in Maui, then in Toronto, and today in NY.

Sea-Turtle-1 Sea-Turtle

The poor turtle in NY was along the four-lane highway and I tried to make it change course.

Snapping-turtle-NY

When I drove back home, I checked and the turtle was not roadkill, so I guess it took my advice to turn around. The turtle was rather ornery as all snapping turtles are by nature. I did get it pointed the right direction, but it was pretty snappy to me. I know they have very long necks, so I was pretty careful. Being very dried out, I am sure that is why I was not bitten.

The turtles in Toronto in the above gallery, were at a nature preserve at the Brick Works. Being the nature buff that I am, I spotted the turtles for the other bloggers. Those two turtles had so many photos taken. I guess you could say they are now famous.

This entry was posted in Environment, Nature, Photography, Photos, Travel, wildlife and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Turtles

1. nice images; i haven’t seen a snapping turtle in, ooh, maybe 30 or more years! thanks!

the sea turtle is gorgeous. i looked at some in an aquarium in the republic of panama, and i wished to be able to help them escape. they kept swimming round and round and round the perimeter of the ‘container…’ i am always torn when i view species in zoos and exhibits.. if one child is inspired by seeing the turtle, and perhaps he/she becomes a wildlife biologist b/c of that, yes, that turtle played a very important role… but they looked so wistful to be able to return to the sea….

Seeing an animals contained like that is sad. I often wish I could free zoo animals. You rarely see them happy or content. Those that have huge ranges, like polar bears, especially.

2. It’s turtle time! A fun difference between living in the southeast and my native western colorado is this turtle migration that occurs across all lanes of all roads from May through June…when we had to give up our colorado license plates, we opted for the cool endangered species turtle plates of south carolina…love those guys.

Great photos.

I never saw the turtle plate of SC. I like turtles and frogs too. So misunderstood. People can be cruel to both creatures since they are easily captured.

Great turtle clicks!

4. Turtles are one of the real treasures in this world…I totally agree about snapping turtles, I’m grateful you took time to help make a direction change.

my family use to talk about seeing snapping turtles but I never did -until now. It looks big! the sea turtle is amazing-from the very first trip to the sea, a real test of survival.Hopefully i will see some .

6. Welcome back!!!!! Glad that turtle took your advice!
    You always have such wonderful encounters!
    Have a great weekend! 🙂

7. Annette says:

Nice pics as always, Donna. I was very privileged to see turtles while island-hopping in the Indian Ocean. Wonderful, awesome creatures…gives me the creeps when I think of what people did to them.

8. Fun! I hope you had a good time.

Gorgeous photos of them underwater! Good reminder since it’s been so long since I’ve seen them.

10. I so many of these at the Underwater Observatory in Eilat on the Red Sea this past month. They are so amazing to see up close!

I love swimming with turtles, and I loved seeing your post Donna, , they are such graceful creatures

You are a regular turtle clicker! I am not sure how I missed this post! I am up late as usual trying to catch up on some things around here. Sometimes it is when I do my best reading! : ) Take care of yourself and enjoy your garden trips.

13. Love finding turtles as they are rare treats here do to all the building…poor things.