Hummingbird Migration

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

The Ruby-throated hummingbirds are on their way although I have yet to see one. Two areas have spotted them north of me. For those of you that look forward to their arrival, click this link to see where they are right now.

Ruby-throated-Hummingbird-1

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Photography, Photos, wildlife and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Hummingbird Migration

Wow! what incredible pics Donna, they are so beautiful!

2. None here yet but the feeders are up….hoping to spot one soon.

3. I appreciate the map. My daughter lives near Harrisburg PA. According to that map, they are just arriving in upstate New York about as quickly as Harrisburg which seems odd to me. Do you know how often this map is updated? It seems fairly current.

The map changes daily as new sightings are reported by individuals. When I wrote the post yesterday, there were only two areas north of us now there are many into Canada.

4. eulalia says:

Really beautiful pictures and birds

5. We don’t have hummingbirds here in Germany ( not even in Europe as far as I know). They are beautiful and I admire that you could take such photographs although they are whirring enormously! Obviously they like the red bergamot (monarda) or am I wrong about the flowers?

I enjoy getting a preview and knowing that they are on the way.

7. Girl Gone Expat says:

Beautiful pictures, and nice job getting clear shots. These birds move so fast! I had to check out your link, I was surprised to see they make it all the way up to Alberta! I’ll have to keep my eyes open to see if I can spot any this summer. Haven’t seen any here the previous years.

Wonderful captures of these little gems.

9. Annie says:

Oh joy! I’m watching and waiting. The fresh nectar feeders are hanging and they’re the only color in the garden right now…

10. Andrew Foster says:

First hummingbird visited our feeder yesterday here in Greenville, SC. It had a black head (cap?)
    and hasn’t been back today. Last Summer all of the hummers at our feeder were Ruby Throats.
    Could this one have been a “scout?”

Maybe it was a western Black-Chinned Hummingbird that got blown off course? Costa Rica had a few with black crowns, but I doubt they would come to SC. I never saw a Ruby-throated with a black head though either. Too bad you did not get a photo because birders from all over would have been by to see your unusual hummer.

11. I know it takes a lot of patience and multiple attempts to get good pictures of hummingbirds. Yours are great.

I keep coming back to look at your Hummingbirds they are so adorable. If I came over there this would be the first bird I would want to see. The closest we have to them is our Yellow-bellied Sunbird and they are such darling birds to watch. You have captured these birds so well!