Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge March 31

Great-Blue-Heron-3

I need a longer lens for visiting a refuge this large.

Great-Blue-Heron

It is a given with all the wildlife there is to see at this huge preserve. Birds are everywhere, but also not very close. I plan on going on Saturday to see what I find. My friend Barbara and I will try to spot some nice migrating bird flocks, since geese, swans and ducks should be on the ponds like last year at this time.

Great-Blue-Heron-0

Some are pretty birds and other wildlife is well…not so pretty.

Vulture-Sunning

I have to visit on a nicer day too. Saturday may be a no go since snow is predicted. One day soon spring will actually show up.

Muskrat

Less ice and a bit greener would be great. The only problem with timing it is that some wildlife visit only for a few days and a don’t care if we have a snow day. Many species of ducks stop on their way to breeding grounds farther north so they just recharge and move on. The rodents stay. The herons set up nests. The migrants are why so many birders visit here though. Not to see a ornery possum.

Possum

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Nature Preserves, Photography, Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge March 31

Love it all: dramatic vulture pose, cute pink nosed opossum and round beaver. And the beauty of the heron.

2. Loving the variety of wildlife – Cool Captures 🙂 Happy Day!

I am not getting the email that your blog has gone up. I am going to go see if I can fix that. I found it in my reader. Word press may be doing something strange or there is a glitch.

4. Good luck and stay warm!

5. lucindalines says:

Wow those are some great shots!

6. Girl Gone Expat says:

Always a challenge shooting in spring with a lot of the grey, brown and ice around, but I think you got me nice shots there despite it still being early spring:)

7. Nick Hunter says:

Love that first heron shot. I always enjoy watching muskrats on the ice but, as you mentioned, often don’t have the lens to do the scene justice. Plan to visit the refuge sometime this spring.

Seems like a wonderful place.

nice shots, I like seeing muskrats munching on fresh shoots, so obviously enjoyable. And while I like close-ups, there is something to be said for a longer view of the creature in its environment.

I’ll be interested to see what you find on your return. This place could be a day trip for me so having a preview would be great!
    I’ve been watching the snow geese move up through Pennsylvania. There’s a place where they stage by the tens of thousands and that’s another place I’d like to go! Migrations are amazing.
    -and I’m glad you caught a glimpse of the opossum 🙂

Beautiful shot.

12. Hope it was a wonderful visit and the weather was good.

13. I’ve always wanted to go there, whizzing by on the Thruway but never stopping. I especially like those GBH shots. Thanks.