Lessons of Nature – Flying Off Baggage Free

Eagle-with-Dinner

I suppose that can mean a lot of things, but what if it meant the literal, traveling with no stuff? Ok the eagle has a fish, but we all gotta eat, no? If you look at birds migrating long distances, they don’t have stuff. They have a prayer when they get where they are going, stuff will be there. I guess we all could take a lesson from that, travel to places unknown and likely stuff will be there to sustain you.

That is key. Sustain. Have only the basics. No suitcase and no clue what was going to happen after you disembark the plane. Scary.

I suppose it might depend with whom you travel if one could survive the trip.  My last trip, I traveled with a friend that could strike up a friendship in a matter of seconds with anyone with a pulse. Me, not so much. A bit more reserved, I am friendly, but not instantly your friend.

Minimalist travel is a very disturbing concept, but imagine the freedom? Should I carry lots of stuff and feel like a Sherpa climbing Everest? What would be necessary if you took like, nothing? Passport, credit cards and the iPhone surely make the cut. Probably the iPad to record and photograph my travels. A toothbrush, comb and maybe a change of attire. Even birds change attire. Then a small shoulder bag to hold the limited stuff. See stuff already is growing. It would be surreal to wander into an international terminal holding nothing and not sure of the itinerary, but boy would that be the ultimate freedom from possessions.

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Photography, Photos, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Lessons of Nature – Flying Off Baggage Free

1. Nick Hunter says:

I recall my first day hike with a friend on the Finger lakes Trail. No gear to speak of. Three years and over a hundred trail-miles later, we still start our trail talks with that experience. I really enjoy reading the accounts of early adventurers like Muir…as hard as I try, I can never quite figure out how they did what they did and lived to write about it. Absolutely essential that we keep that perspective.

I know if I was hiking, I would have a backpack filled with stuff. When I had horses and we went trail riding and stayed overnight, we had our tent and camping stuff. It was fun, but we always had stuff. No making a shelter, even though as an architect now, I guess I’d be the one to do it.

2. Baggage Free… now that’s a challenge! A real challenge! Because of baggage I have come to dread our weekend visits to the country house. Just the thought of packing, carrying and then unpacking, for 2 days mind you, is enough to put me off and choose staying home! I have no idea how we have become dependent on so many little things!

When I did the post, I was thinking just what you are saying. Even though I use the things packed, there really is little reason to carry so much. The only problem with buying stuff when away, is the idea of it coming back home. I was reading where a couple went on a trip for three weeks and only had the clothes they were wearing. Now that is really roughing it.

I like the idea of travelling lite. You are right. You need to take what will sustain you. I imagine that definition varies with each individual. I have found after traveling from east and west coast for going on my third decade, the older I get the less I want to deal with ( ie baggage starts to become a pain). I have to say, though, I travel mostly places where I can wash clothes if necessary.

I too wash clothes when traveling to lessen clothes packed. But my trip to Europe proved I needed more though. As much as mix and match makes sense, each day I looked pretty similar to the day before. I already told my traveling friend, next time we take a cruise, I am packing more and better attire. I figure when traveling, it is better to look nice and feel good about what I am wearing. That was why in Hawaii, even though I packed light, I had many different outfits that made me happy to wear them.

Wouldn’t it be great to have the best of both worlds?

I know, parting with electronics would be really difficult, the camera especially. I have been marveling at how many pro photographers, even wildlife photographers are going with mirrorless cameras. That helps make traveling a bit lighter. It is why I have been taking the tiny P510. Sometimes the place is more enjoyable the less I am encumbered with.

5. Been there, done that…never thought of myself as being like that glorious eagle. Thanks for showing me that what me and hubby have done was kind-a adventurous even though we didn’t think so at the time.
    Fly high, lady!
    😎

I never did fly without a destination in mind, planned itinerary or with no baggage. I think I could, but it would make me a little anxious until I could a place to stay and a place to get necessities. Good for you and the hubby. At least one reader has done this.

One of the sad problems we are facing today is the reclamation of the mudflats and feeding grounds of the migratory waders when they pass over Asian shores. Birdlife Australia and other organisations are involved with trying to save the many thousands of birds that are threatened. Millions have died already, and thousands more this year, as land is reclaimed for human development and also birds are shot for food as they pass from Australia and New Zealand back to Alaska and Siberia via the Asian coastlines, even as we speak. Many have already fallen exhausted into the ocean and died because they were unable to get enough food at their usual stopping point which they have used for thousands of years. As you said, they go in faith that food will be at their next stopping point, just as it has been for many generations, they go not carrying anything but a full stomach of food, which they soon burn up after several thousand miles of continual flying. If they do not get filled up enough for the second leg they will not make it to their destination over the Pacific Ocean and will fall into the sea and die. This has caused several waders to become critically endangered in Australia, and others will follow, if this development is not stopped.

Our country too has had sea faring birds wash ashore, having succumbed to starvation. The problem becomes, what can be done? Too much development has claimed habitat and drought has claimed once thriving lands. I fear for bird life as some will be unable to adapt to changing landscapes.

Glorious shot of the eagle Donna!

8. Annette says:

food for thought – their philosophy is definitely different to ours but what if? we might experience the journey of a lifetime!

9. Ooh, makes my hands sweat just to think about it!

10. Aquileana says:

Absolutely stunning… ⭐ Happy weekend ahead & best wishes!!! Aquileana 😀

11. A.M.B. says:

I try to be a minimalist while traveling, but it’s a challenge for me. I’m always worried that I won’t be able to find what I need at my destination, though that’s never been the case so far.

Every time I try to pack conservatively, I end up missing having things left behind. It never makes sense to purchase them either. It would be liberating to just not care.

12. Phil Lanoue says:

Oh wow! Outstanding eagle shot!

13. I do think it would be hard to travel with minimal stuff, but occasionally I have…not easy though!