Spring is on a Slow Train

Canada-Goose

Yes, a very slow train. It is chugging along, but really needs a fresh flush of steam. Just ask the waterfowl.

1-Robin

The shallower water bodies are finally opening up to waterfowl, but the ground remains frozen. Poor robins, they are searching where they can. Yesterday, I went out to find some wildlife along the river, then to a local cemetery known for attracting quite a bit of bird life. Come May, the Warblers will be thick in the trees around Mirror Lake. Now we just have ducks and geese.

White-Geese

The Niagara River has thawed, but will soon be filled with ice from the Great Lakes. Below, the winter takes a toll on trees near the river.

GIBeaver-Island

Much of the ice has melted, but a week ago the ducks faced this area fully covered in ice.

Canvasback-2

The cemetery looks like it survived quite well.

Forest-Lawn

There are a few cemeteries in our area where birders go to see migrating birds and this one is one of the best in our area.

Forest-Lawn-5

Forest-lawn-2

Canvasback ducks taking a siesta before heading off to the Great Plains.

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Niagara Falls, Photography, Photos, Travel, wildlife and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Spring is on a Slow Train

It certainly was a cold year for you guys, it must have considerable effect on wildlife which follow set seasonal patterns of behaviour, especially when winter is drawn out. Great shots thanks Donna!

2. Will spring ever come? Although 70 degrees called for in Maryland on Thursday. Here’s hoping.

3. Girl Gone Expat says:

Nice early spring pictures! Spring is slow here as well, there was a snow storm today creating chaos and highway closures…

4. lucindalines says:

So beautiful. I agree about the slow train. We had another short bout of snow and cold yesterday, and today one of the area lakes was packed with geese. So wish I had the camera with, but alas nothing to show for it just my mind.

It’s nice to see some open water, even nicer to see the snow giving way to bare lawn. I hope that big chunk of ice you call a lake doesn’t keep us all cooler again this summer. See if you can do anything about it this year! lol

I just read although some parts of the country were hit hard with the cold weather that the majority of the country actually did fine. Climate change anyone?

7. Gorgeous shots. I like how you have captured the water.

It is a sensitive time of year for those who have migrated to find snow, and i wonder about their survival but they seem to manage to pull through.Beautiful blue tones at this time of year. I am curious about the statues-what are they about?

Those are familiar looking scenes

10. Wow you are ahead of us…not much melt on the lakes etc and still at least a foot of snow to melt and in many spots 2-3 ft….do we need a full head of steam for a shift to warmer air.

We too have the piles of snow three feet high. In front of my house it seems like the snow will never leave. I never get too excited, because we are usually stuck with it through April.

11. I am always amazed each spring when the first shoots come up through the ground and winter recedes enough that you can believe the worst is over…Love the pictures.

12. Phil Lanoue says:

Tremendous scenes!

13. A.M.B. says:

We’ve had a slow start to spring here too. It snowed on the first day of spring, forcing me to postpone the 5K I organize (originally planned for the third day of spring). There was just too much ice on the ground for a trail race. Ugh.

14. Wow,still so much snow in March! We were worried we weren’t going to get any Spring rain in Andalucia but we have following temperatures in the 20s.