Oh, Little Birdie…

Chickadee-1

were you counted this week?

Not at my place because eBird has me listed in Niagara Falls, Ontario, not in New York. You may have arrived here from Canada though. The restaurant is still opened if you want a change of scenery. Anyway, you are in a pretty snow covered forest…

Cute as you are, do you ever wish you were big and fearsome, ruling your forest?

You know that is kinda an interesting thought. If one looks at the insect world, lots of little creepy crawlies are rather creepy, especially to smaller insects. Ferocious too. To insects, these little chickadees are just big enough and fearsome. You don’t need to be an eagle to be a predator. Come spring, the little birds will be back on insect hunt.

Chickadee-2

Carry the big eats little scenario further, and it made me wonder if humans are the only species to take on the biggest and most imposing prey? Whales rule their domain, elephants the savannah, hippos and gators the watering holes and we kill them all rather easily. I guess little can take down bigger prey, like a lion taking down a zebra, but usually it is a lion pride doing the killing. How many examples can you think of with the little eating or killing big?

Chickadee-4

Unfortunately for those returning eagles going north for nesting, they have been greeted by some nasty cold weather. The little Chickadee does very well in the frigid north.

Chickadee-3

When I was out photographing at their forest at the Falls yesterday, a few of these little guys sounded the alarm because of me. The more “dee” notes they add to their calls, the higher the alarm. I think it had to do with me failing to bring seed for them. I guess I was getting called a few choice names. They also kept to a greater distance from me and my long lens. Their alarm calls keep all the other birds away too. Usually there are a good variety, but not this trip.

Even the Cardinal was giving me the eye. I better remember food next time.

Red-Cardinal

This gent really gave me a long look. His missus just did not care.

CardinalOn Garden Walk Garden Talk, I Bet You Always Thought It Rains in Seattle.

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Photography, Photos, wildlife and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Oh, Little Birdie…

Great pics Donna as always!

2. As always, the images are stunning, and i love those little chickadees so much! how great to upgrade them to predator status, and yes, to an insect they are quite the predator! um, i paint my cameras with floral hues so that the birds aren’t spooked so easiy..

I know we never think of them eating other animals, but they really are predators come spring where about 80% of their diet is insects. We have to love birds for keeping us less inundated with insects. You must show your camera. Did I miss it?

3. What beauty you captured, all fantastic!

I love these little.They are so cute. Need to constantly feed in the winter to keep from freezing and heard they will huddle together when they sleep to keep warm. I counted them in the yard for e-bird after figuring out how to enter them on-line.

Those little fellas have the strongest looking feet! Great shots my dear Donna!

6. connie661 says:

Wonderful! When you think of carnivores, you think of lions, not robins (which, yes, are omnivores, but you get my point).

7. Welcome back!
    Adore those black cap chickadees, yet the Carolina wren is my number one small bird to adore. Ever photograph them?

8. Wondering about the thoughts of a bird … They just do what they need to do, never think about it. That is for us to do … Great pictures!!!!

Thanks, Sandra. I know the post was a bit tongue in cheek trying to personify the birds, but I do swear they have thoughts about us. My next post is called Stare Master , and those tiny birds really look like I would be toast if they were big enough. Also on GWGT, I said what you said about them doing what they will without thought in the post Birds, Blooms, and Boundaries. 😀

9. Phil Lanoue says:

Terrific shots of these cuties!

10. What a character! I’m hooked on that first [especially] shot! For a delicate creature it looks pretty determined!

11. I love watching the chickadees perusing the suet feeder when they aren’t eating seed at my neighbor’s….such cute little birds. One of the most fearsome birds in my garden is the wren….they can bully and scare off other birds and rip out nests in a matter of minutes. I have never seen anything like them. They even chase out all the squirrels from the garden when they are nesting.

I never had a wren get feisty in my garden. Being territorial, I can see them putting up a fuss though. Plus they have that pointy beak, I guess it looks rather omnious to other small birds, maybe even the squirrels.

12. Such delicate beauty and yet, as you say, cold hearty!

Great shots. While most creatures seem to be more skittish around here, the chickadees are fearless around me. Strange.

I have had them bean me when filling the feeders. I cannot for the life of me figure out what good they accomplish bouncing off my head. I should have had a photo of that!

14. I loved your photos of the chickadees. One photographer suggested that to get a good bird shot focus on the eye. I’m lucky if I can even focus on the bird not alone the eye. Did you take these with your new camera? Just gorgeous.

No Sue, I had the long lens on the D7000. I did have the D750 along though, but with a wide-angle attached. I was shooting the Falls as well. Yes, the eye is the place to focus, but being small, the head is often good enough. Huh, the chickadee has a pretty big head for the size of the bird. 😀

15. Great chickadee pictures. They are one of my favorites – so friendly and so much personality. And such a big sound for such a little bird!

16. So delightful – these little Chickadees just brighten the day 😉 and the Cardinals are stunning.