Why Do Visitors Like Amish Country

Amish-Sunset

Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Good Question. Is it curiosity or a tad bit of envy? A lesson in humility, equality, modesty, obedience, and simplicity is something all could benefit learning. These are qualities of the Amish. The scenery and landscape are why most people visit, but the way of life is why many wish they could stay.

Farm-In-PA

I think this is not so much what we learn from nature, but how we work with and for nature. There is a deep respect for people who work on the land and with the land. There is respect for the simple, peaceful life these people lead.

Another reason folks like visiting is the Amish make some very beautiful objects by hand. They grow their food in an honest, clean, natural way and if you purchase from their stands, you know you are getting healthy quality produce. I lived close enough to Amish country to do all my grocery shopping and the food prepared always tasted better.

Horses-In-PA

There is no doubt, I do envy their way of life.

This entry was posted in Nature, Photography, Photos, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Why Do Visitors Like Amish Country

1. Les says:

Not to be a fly in the pie, but there are two sides to this life. I too admire their connection to and stewardship of the land, and their simpler way of life, but God help anyone among them who aspires for something different and is shunned by the church and their families. I imagine for more than a few, it must be a very stifling existence.

I don’t prefer their religion or what happens when one strays from the fold, but you have to respect their dedication and how much they require the obedience to it. That really takes moral fiber. I can’t think of anything in my life with that much pull. I do agree, there are many things I would miss, and the freedom is first and foremost. The electronics too, like my camera. It would be possible to have a simpler life living off the land without losing the parts we don’t wish to miss. i.e. TV goes, but not a computer for instance. They are allowed rides in cars, just not owning one I believe, so I could deal with that. I used to give them rides in my Jeep, so I am sure it was allowed.

2. My wife and I absolutely love our annual visit to Lancaster County. My favorite is just driving through the countryside, coming to an intersection and then asking, do you want to turn right or left? None of those rural roads are straight for very long. Eventually you come out on a road that is well marked like Rtes 30, 340 or 741, but until then, there is so much peace and tranquility.

On the other hand, those of us that are not Amish are the “English” which is not stated in a congenial manner. Their ways are separate for a reason, “In the world but not of the world.” Does the term “English” comes from some treatment that they received? I don’t know. I am told that one cannot become Amish.

I visited New Harmony, IN many years ago and it reminded me of what you are speaking of here. Have you ever heard of that town? It is quite a beautiful place.

4. The atmosphere in the photos adds so much…I’m partial to the trio of horses.

5. A lifestyle I also envy and hope to be able to live in the future [minus the religious part – we’d be in trouble as musicians!]. Beautiful images, Donna! 🙂

I would minus the strict religion too, but the simple life is very enticing. I would be in trouble too with my photography, I would have to go back to only painting and drawing, but that would not be so bad I think. Thanks Marina.

6. Humility, equality, modesty, obedience, simplicity and a peaceful way of life. You can choose that if you really want to.

All but the obedience seems doable. If you knew these people, I think you would agree they have many qualities I wish I would see in many others. They seem content and happy with life. They are kind and helpful to others. There is not a whole lot of kindness or even civility in our world today.

7. Donna, lovely images. Thanks, Diane

Gorgeous images and I too admire their way of life. I think we may find them a valuable resource someday too if our mainstream un-sustainable life style collapses. In reply to Les, as far as I know Amish young people are given the choice to stay or leave and that choice is always respected.

You are right about our un-sustainable way of life. It mushroomed far out of control where it would be difficult to lose all that we have become accustomed. The Amish get to go on rumspringa for freedom and experimenting on our way of life. I knew one that did not come back after leaving. I never knew what happened after though as I was no longer in PA.

We have friends in an Amish community and they are lovely, friendly people.

10. Emily Scott says:

That last photo of the horses has some very special light.

Beautiful pictures as usual. Did you take them this winter when you were visiting?
    I love that area. My parents used to take us out there for a long farm weekend. We would find a farmer with a room to rent and it was always an amazing experience for us. That was 30 years ago so it sure was a different world going back recently.
    I think many of the Ohio and Indiana Amish are ‘refugees’ from the urban sprawl which is pushing them west. It’s nice to think of it as a perfect world, and it is a simpler life with stronger community, but they do have all the same problems the rest of the world faces. Unfortunately obedience often acts as a good cover.

12. Your photos are beautiful and the Amish are certainly a group of people that are to be respected. But there are different sects within the entire Amish community and they each have their own rules and traditions. Some are stricter than others.
    Such a simple lifestyle and yet I can’t imagine myself even attempting to live like that. They live in our community and I have some as neighbors. They are such hardworking people.
    What I find that is happening in our rural farming community is that the Amish are purchasing abandoned farms and are refurbishing the buildings for their use. What better way to re-build a farming community! Thanks for your thoughts.