Nature is Interdependent – Lessons of Nature

Hawk1-12-15

Everything is beautifully interconnected. As I mused about nature for Thursday Thoughts on GWGT, what I did not show you was the interdependency in this post.

As those little songbirds blissfully fed on the seed of the long departed plants, above in the tree sat another piece of the puzzle of life.

Hawk1-12-15-1

A creature doesn’t live in isolation from other organisms, anymore than a plant exists without soil. It will always be interdependent with other life. All things created are sustained by their environment. All things created nourish our environment.

Like the hawk, people don’t exist separate from this world, we are engaged and embedded in the world just like the rest of nature.

Hawk-in-snow-storm

What looks like the menacing Red-tailed Hawk preying on the lowly unsuspecting American Tree Sparrow is only what is supposed to happen in nature. As we prey on nature daily and with such bravado of our existence… it makes me wonder if this was the way nature intended? People are completely dependent on nature. What would happen if we left this planet? We have to take this environment with us, that is what.

What makes us interdependent? What would not live without us or live from us? Are we interdependent when we die nourishing nature around us? We should have been. These questions really haunt me sometimes. On GWGT I raised the premise that nature always has a purpose which she accomplishes. What is the purpose of us?

You tell me what lesson nature has for us to learn?

This entry was posted in Nature, Photography, Photos, Raptors and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Nature is Interdependent – Lessons of Nature

Yes Donna, it strikes me that everything is dependent on everything else, everything is interrelated in some wonderfully created way. This is the heart of God, life is relationship and everything relates to everything else in some way. Love is the greatest relationship one can have, and as humans in God’s image we interrelate in this way. This reflects the way things are in the Godhead and in God’s Kingdom. Sacrifice, creature giving its life to another, so that it can live on and grow strong. There are images of Jesus Christ right through it all. Colossians 1:16 “For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.” You have raised valid questions and this is what I have gleaned from it all in my life journey.

Thank you for your inspiring comment. I so enjoy when the comments answer the post in such a thoughtful way, making me think and want to learn more. I love the relationships you have drawn, and really need to look deeper into belief, hope and the grace God has given.

• aussiebirder says:

Thanks Donna, we are all learning and journeying together along life’s road, it is encouraging and refreshing to read posts about life and meaningful subjects. Thanks again Donna!

2. Love the connections between ‘nature’ and us humans…as mentioned in your article, Donna and in the above reply.

3. I love the thoughtful fusion of your musings and photos.

4. Nature – since hundreds or thousands of years – tries to teach us that we always shall take care, respect, observe and – most important: learn! Human beings are obviously not easily to convince that they cannot work against or keep on preying on nature without serious consequences.
    Donna, starting from the premise that nature has a purpose which she accomplishes, I would consider nature as an extremely intelligent cycle (was it just from the beginning). The lesson is to notice and to accept that whenever anything in nature goes wrong (so called natural disasters, species extinction, etc.) it is due to the fact that human interaction has interrupted the cycle or upset the balance.
    We are dependent and won’t become interdependent, I can’t imagine any possibility, can’t find any example.
    Nature does not need us to survive. We don’t secure, grant, furnish anything. In most cases we are not even improving or doing anything of importance. We are busy and are desperately trying to reduce the self-made damages.
    As nothing seems to make us interdependent, we only can become successful in not disturbing anything. We still need to reduce our negative influence on nature.
    -Michèle-

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment, Michèle. I look at disasters as nature righting wrongs in some way. Nature recovers itself and things start all over. I too could not think of one example where we are interdependent. That is what brought about the thought of what is the purpose of us. I was dumfounded to think of our purpose. In the religious sense we have purpose, but most of us fail, some in the name of religion. Just look at the world today and how religion is causing havoc. It is not right because I doubt any being followed, Jesus, Mohammad, Buddah would approve of actions in their name today. I don’t believe we can right the environmental wrongs either, at least until there is far less humans on this earth.

PArsing out the intricate connections everything has is one of the greatest pleasures I get from observing the world around us. I can only assume we are a pest specieis at this point where once we were probably more benign predators. Unlike aphids though we are self aware. We can change our behaviour. Wouldn’t it be lovely if we treated this world as a garden or gift to treaure instead of something to exploit?

I also get a feeling of peace, wonder and even curiosity at seeing things other may not when looking just a bit closer. The world has so many amazing things and places to see. I wish we could act and feel as you stated in your last sentence. I kinda view us like mosquitos, where all the other animals think of us sucking the life force right out of the environment.

6. Phil Lanoue says:

Terrific hawk photos with very interesting commentary.

Thank you Phil. These are not my best hawk photos because I was not using the right lens at the time unfortunately. The snow falling also made a bit of a haze, but it was what the hawk was doing that caught my eye. The little birds I was photographing became the hawk’s dinner, which I did not photograph.

7. We always think of our negative impact on the environment, but I was intrigued by your question: What wouldn’t live if humans weren’t here? And I love the first hawk photo.

Maybe now a few species that are on the brink of extinction would not live without our help, but we usually are the ones that put them in this position. Even though they might need us, they are certainly not interdependent with us.

8. Some interesting questions Donna. I tend to think that we are more dependent on nature as we would be hard pressed to find much of our food without pollinators. But how does nature depend on us. I don’t think they do. If we weren’t here many wouldn’t be in trouble, and many lived without us for thousands or more years. So I agree we are more like blood sucking mosquitoes.