Lessons of Nature – Things We Can’t Control

Red-bellied-Woodpecker

I wonder how many people now a days think about things we learn in, from and of nature?

When one looks at the weather, it becomes abundantly clear that we don’t need to worry about things we are unable to control. We can plan for the best outcome, plan for the rainy day, plan for times of lean. We can accept in doing our best.

Red-bellied-Woodpecker-1

There are lots of things in life that we can’t control, accepting of what nature throws our way. What weather in nature destroys, it’s rebuilt fresh and new again. We can do that too in many cases. I guess that is where hope and perseverance comes in, it only takes a look skyward to know hope is there. A hope that speaks to us through nature, sharing wisdom and lessons to learn. Good lessons from which to start a New Year.

Red-bellied-Woodpecker-2

Garden Walk Garden Talk – Play, a Path to Creativity – Lessons of Nature

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Lessons of Nature – Things We Can’t Control

These are such beautiful pics, and yes so true we become anxious and worry when we realise we are not in control of our life, from which our unfulfilled expectations become the seed of anger, bitterness and depression. I am so thankful for Jesus words and the action of trust and faith in a loving Father God, that we can reverse Adam’s mistake in Jesus, who said “I always do what I see my Father doing”. Our Father who knows intimately will take care of us, we just trust!

The total lack of control is what makes photos like these so special. Now if only I could get inside the mind of some creatures to get them to turn to the light at the right second …

Thanks Lyle. I think like you in that freeing an encumbered mind leaves a lot of room for the joy that needless worry pushes out. Room for exploration, creativity and fun.

3. Absolutely right, Donna. If we spent our time worrying about uncontrollable things. it would drive you nuts. Great message and pics, as usual. I hope you’re doing well.

Perseverance-well I could not control the freezing rain last week which froze my car doors but decided to get in the car and drive anyway rather than waiting for it to warm up-so climbed in through the trunk.My friends laughingly tell me they would like to get a picture of that. I don’t think it would be very pretty I like your photos and the lessons they teach us. Trees tell me a lot by their shapes about survival.

Frozen doors here too. I did not have to go in through the hatch though. 😀 These trees would have told you much. Woodpeckers like those dead trees. This one was caching seeds.

5. It sounds like you’re speaking to us perfectionists. It’s hard for us to accept that there are imperfections in life that we can’t fix. Life is better for us and everyone around us when we accept the things we can’t control.

I pretty much am a perfectionist, it kinda comes with being an architect. The artist in me keeps me grounded though, letting me know the silliness of worrying about stuff I can’t do much about. But always looking for solutions…

6. A.M.B. says:

What beautiful red-bellies. I try not to worry about things I can’t control, but I’m not always successful.

I love these shots. They are captivating and you had a good lesson within this post.

8. A lot to think about, your themes are really interesting. My immediate response is that with a little more maturity I do better at living in the moment and enjoying it…

9. Mike Powell says:

Patience and quick reactions–that’s what photographing wildlife has taught me. I know that there are some photographers that try to find the optimal situations for their photos, with perfect subjects and perfect light, but that’s not the world that I know. I’m an opportunistic shooter and, as you so aptly put it, try to do my best with the circumstances in which I find myself. I really like a post like this that prompts me to think about things I take for granted, like the lessons that nature teaches me.

I was just talking about this today. I was telling my friend that the very nature of wildlife photography means you often take what is presented. Opportunity is often fleeting and yes patience is important, that waiting, but I myself have little. Always wondering what lies around the next corner. Thinking about what nature teaches us would fill books and books.

10. Rose says:

Learning to accept “that which I cannot change” has always been hard for me. But gardening has helped me to be more accepting as I’ve learned the power of Nature. Nothing I can do will make winter any shorter, for example, but it’s a great time to watch the woodpeckers outside my window, too.

Nature really is power. It has become more evident in each passing year with the changes brought about by weather. Dry seasons, wet seasons, cold starts to spring, warm winters, arctic blasts, the weather has been fickle and wildlife makes the best of it. Not like they have a choice, but if it is humans, the grumbling is endless.

Paying attention to the real world is so rewarding but I fear very few bother anymore. If only they knew what they were missing. For starters: the kind of beauty shown here.

I have been saying that for years. People don’t know what they are missing. Staying inside rather than experiencing all that surrounds them. It is a tough sell too when it is 5° outside. Today I was out with a photographer friend and birder we just met on the Buffalo waterfront. The wind was brutal and it was -10°. We all had a nice time though watching the sun rays through clouds kiss the frozen river. Seeing what others chose not to see.

12. In nature my mind is always free of negative things … But your little woodpacker is so beautiful.

Thank you. I think nature can bring out the best in people, even when nature is destructive. Many people choose to help and others choose to persevere.

13. Nature has been my best teacher.