Monarda Magic

Bee-on-Monarda-0

I did a post on Garden Walk Garden Talk a while back called The Monarda Speaks. It is a very popular post searched daily on GWGT. In this post I am not going to get into the horticultural aspect of Monarda, but rather just show you the tiny visitors. If you saw my post on Hummingbirds in the Garden recently, they were all visiting Monarda. Granted hummingbirds are more interesting than bees and wasps, but considering how pollinators have been on the decline worldwide, seeing the bees busy at a plant they like is a good thing to see.

Oh, wasps like it too!

This entry was posted in Bees, garden, Insects, Macro photography, Nature and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Monarda Magic

Love the bright color with all the perfect close-ups!
    Notice how the short tongued bees are cheating and ‘nectar robbing’ at the base of the blooms and shirking their pollination duties. The long tubes of monarda are suited more for hummingbirds who go in from the front where the pollen is. The bees do the same thing to my phlox.

Thanks for adding this Frank. The Carpenter Bees are the worst at nectar robbing drilling holes at the base. The honeybees come in and make use of the pre-drilled holes. If I were the flower, I might scold these bees, but I see very many Carpenter bees loaded with pollen from the Monarda. I think Monarda produces pollen excessively just to combat nectar robbing. I have images from previous years where the bees had so much pollen they were completely coated and losing it in flight.

• bittster says:

I tried figuring out bees this summer and made little headway. So much to learn!
        The one thing I found was that all the big fat bees (robbing nectar like you said) were carpenter bees and not drones like I thought… but then I read about all the different types of bumblebees and I gave up overwhelmed!
        … and then I found out about cuckoo bees, never even heard of them.

2. Mike Powell says:

I love to see bee shots–I can never get enough of them (and yours are wonderfully detailed). Like one of your other readers, I am amazed at the number of different types of bees, not to mention bee-mimics, and other flying insects that hover around flowers.

Lovely shots. I’ll bet the hummingbirds really go for those flowers. I’ve been having fun photographing bees this summer – they’re more cooperative than the birds.

4. It is nice to have flowers that attrack many insects and even birds. Nice pictures!!

5. I love the shot of the wasp. Great photos!

There never can br too many bee pictures for me. ty. Love the fuzzy wuzzy carpenter and the wasp, too. I finally saw my first wasp this year. Hurrah! We used to have such large colonies but they inexplicably disappeared. I hopw this means a return to normal.

7. That beautiful flower has so many visitors!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Great shots, Donna!! ๐Ÿ™‚

8. My monarda is covered daily by pollinators, butterflies and hummers…and the bees outnumber everyone…even with the wisps that are left they are sucking out everything they can.