Flybys – The Blue and the White

Heron-Flying-6-29-14-2

Egret6-29-14-1

Heron-Flying-6-29-14

Egret-6-29-14

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature, Photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Flybys – The Blue and the White

1. acuriousgal says:

These are lovely, Donna….so creative too!! Sometimes I think I should separate my blog into other blogs too, I like too many things…ugh. I’d love your take, only when you get a chance. Love this new space👍👍

I think a second blog is good if you can afford to split the content and have a different focus on the second blog. My bird photos needed somewhere to go and I was aware that that many photographers that follow GWGT have no interest in gardens, other than maybe macro photography. Macro tells very little about a garden too. I will still have macro on GWGT, but I get too many images that I want to share and needed a place to start a cleaner and clearer focus on nature. As much design as can be learned in gardening from nature, it many times is beyond what gardeners are willing to learn and apply to their properties.

• acuriousgal says:

I completely understand. Your blog is so wonderfully put together, that I have no doubt two will be, well, twice as nice!! I love my nature photography but I also enjoy knitting as well as writing on various topics. I so enjoy just sharing things that I love, like your blog for instance. Sharing can just be a blog in itself, although not creative(well creatively picking maybe) it still can bring followers. I’ve also started reviewing books for TLC Book Tours, another hobby of mine.

2. I love the contrasting backgrounds…the white is actually my favorite

3. Mike Powell says:

Spectacular shots. My own experience shows that herons and egrets are tough to capture in flight. Sure, they’re big and fly relatively slowly, but it is not easy to get a properly exposed shot, especially with the brilliant white of the egret.

Thank you Mike. I find the Great Egret is a bugger to shoot, especially on a cloudy day like above. I am not sure why because on my other blog I have shot white gulls in flight with no problem. I also did a tutorial on shooting them in snow. But my problem with egrets I think is how far away they are for my 300mm or 400mm zoom lenses. I lose so much clarity for the distance, therefore lose shadow detail. On GWGT I did shoot a blue heron flying really close and had enormous detail, so I concluded it was my two lenses, neither of them being the good ones that Nikon makes.

I realize the difficulty it can take to get a good capture in these conditions with a white bird-good work.

5. A.M.B. says:

Beautiful photos!

6. A beautiful series of shots Donna … White birds always give us a challenge but you have managed to pull these off considering the challenging circumstances, well done.